There is nothing more Australian than heading off to the Club for a chicken parmigiana. Our perfect Bistro 16 Chicken Parmigiana is full of flavour, take minutes to cook, and is one of our favourite meals. Bistro 16 Chicken parmigiana is a dish that consists of breaded chicken breast covered in tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese.
Did you know that Chicken parmigiana has its origin in the United States, where it was popularised among Italian American immigrants? The meal was created and embraced and quickly became conceived as an authentic Italian dish.
Of course, it takes its inspiration from Italy with eggplant parmigiana being the original recipe however the combination of flattened chicken breast, ham and Napoli sauce is now a total Club classic and has been since the early 80’s, add a serve of hot chips and a schooner of beer and you have yourself a classic Aussie dish.
Tweed Heads Bowls Club ensures the freshest ingredients are used in all of our dishes, the chicken breasts and hams are carefully selected and prepared by our in-house butcher Michael. There is a reason why we call ourselves the Home of Handcrafted food. Our meats are carefully selected and prepared by our team, our fruit and vegetables are locally sourced wherever possible from the Tweed Valley, and our two in-house Pastry Chefs design and craft our delicious cakes and desserts. It’s this commitment to sourcing and providing the best ingredients that delivers a great dining experience.
Executive Chef, Brad Whittaker and his team want to share their special recipe with you and have set us all a challenge to give it a go. We would love to see some photos of your efforts on our Instagram page #mythbcrecipe. So, don’t forget to tag us!
Trends in food are always changing, but when it comes to good authentic Club food, the classic favourites remain popular.[/vc_column_text][vc_column_text]Servings: 2
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
150 grams leg ham – shaved
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 large egg
1 teaspoon milk
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
1/4 cup olive oil for frying, extra virgin
30 grams of butter
Tomato Sauce, recipe follows
120 grams grated mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
440 gram can crushed tomatoes – Italian
1/2 teaspoons flake salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Place the chicken breasts in a resealable plastic bag.
- Pound the chicken with the smooth side of a mallet or a rolling pin until chicken is about 1cm thick.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Beat the eggs and milk in another shallow bowl.
- Add ½ of the grated parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs on another plate.
- Coat the chicken breasts on both sides with the flour mixture, shaking off any excess, then dip in the egg mixture, then finish with the bread crumb and cheese mixture. Make sure to press the crumbs into the chicken breasts on both sides.
- Place breaded chicken breasts on a baking rack in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes. This will make for crispy chicken and help keep the breading from falling off when cooking.
- Heat the olive oil and a knob of butter in a large, heavy frypan over medium heat.
- Cook chicken breasts, until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. The chicken will continue to bake off in the oven.
- Transfer chicken breasts to a baking sheet and top each breast with the leg ham, tomato sauce and grated mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the oven until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with grated Parmigiano Reggiano, return to the oven for an additional two minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, salt, pepper, parsley and basil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat and cook until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes
- Place cook chicken breasts on baking paper, top the chicken breasts with tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and finish with grated parmesan cheese.
- Cook at 180c for 15 minutes or until golden, serve on a warm plate and serve with a side salad and oven-baked beer batter fries.