12th May 1921
The Tweed Heads Bowls Club was founded in 1921 by a group of dedicated people with a pioneering spirit who wanted to build a firm foundation for future progress.
The club started life on the banks of the beautiful Tweed River directly under Point Danger in a modest clubhouse located on Coral Street. This was the start of the Tweed Heads and Coolangatta Bowling Club.
15th February 1922
First bowl was bowled on the new green at Coral Street site.
1st April 1922
The first game Tweed Heads and Coolangatta Bowling Club Versus Murwillumbah Bowling Club.
6th October 1931
The Ladies Club was formed and officially opened 4 months later. For 10 years, ladies were not allowed to play bowls at Tweed Heads and Coolangatta Bowling Club.
Mr Len Rickets was the first member of the club to win a State Competition, when he won the prestigious Queensland State Singles.
The club won its first Division A pennant title. Our first President of the Tweed Heads and Coolangatta Bowls Club, Mr Charles Morley, was awarded the clubs first Life Membership.
Work began on the construction of two new greens on the leased land at Coral Street, Tweed Heads.
After several meetings, the club members agreed that the separation of the club was a logical decision. The Coral Street club began to function as it is known today; The Tweed Heads Bowls Club. And the Coolangatta Bowls Club moved to a site on Scott Street.
The new two-storey clubhouse was officially opened
Lights were introduced to the first green, in fact they were the first lights on a bowling green on the Gold Coast.
The second green at Coral Street was also fitted with lights.
24th May 1975
With a rapid growth in both ladies and men’s membership, the Tweed Heads Bowls Club committee knew it was time to make a move from Coral Street. The new clubhouse in Florence Street opened its doors.
A new cool room was installed surrounded by a large bar called The Sportsman’s Bar. Adjacent to the bar was a gym, sauna and massage room. This bar was strictly men only for many years with the exception of the two ladies who worked the bar. The Blue Room Restaurant also opened its doors this year and was a local favourite.
The Auditorium opened its doors for the first time. The Auditorium which seated 400 people, showcased top line Australian and International artists. The Birds of Paradise performed on a regular basis and were very popular. During this time, all live entertainment was FREE for members and visitors.
A new Cocktail Lounge was launched along with an extended renovation of the casino.
The Indoor Green was officially opened by President Sid Flodine and past Presidents Ron de Hayr and Harry Rouse.
Hosting of the Inaugural test series between Australia and England. The event featured, World Singles champion David Bryant and Australian Representative, Peter Lawson. Australia proved too strong for the English and won the title after some fierce competition.
The first uniform of Tweed Heads Bowls Club was a white blouse with black pants. In 1985, a new uniform was introduced which was a blue dress with a yellow jacket.
Tweed Heads Hosts the Inaugural Invitational Prestige Singles tournament, The Golden Nugget TM.
The inaugural Bicentennial International Tournament is held at Tweed Heads Bowls Club. Players from Canada, Fiji, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Papa New Guinea, British Isles, United States of America and Australia all competed. The club build a new green to accommodate the mass amount of players, naming it the Bicentennial Green known as green four today.
Introduction of a new logo, the Tweed Heads Bowls Club logo was a simple black and white design.
The Men’s Australian Indoor Singles Championship is held for the first time.
1988 – 1991
During this period the outside of the clubhouse received a major facelift, creating the local icon that it is today. A new portico and the very popular fishpond was installed.
Introduction of the first loyalty program “The Winners Club”.
Introduction of Gaming in Queensland had a huge effect on Club revenue. Prior to this there would be up to six busloads of visitors daily who came to our Club to enjoy all that we had to offer.
The Sportsman’s Bar was replaced by the Opals function room to accommodate corporate events, cocktail parties and weddings.
The in house Bakehouse and Butchery were established.
Introduction of In-house catering.
Tweed Heads Division 1 Mens Pennant side win the State Queensland Title.
Bistro Terrace was renovated and rebranded to The Bamboo Bistro, The Bamboo Lounge and Bamboo Coffee Shop.
Tweed Open Mixed Singles was created to replace The Ford International Singles event.
Sails on Tweed opened (replaced Tradewinds).
Fortune Fair bottle shop was built and opened.
Bowls Australia introduces the Ladies Indoor Singles Championship. And goes on to be known as the Australian Indoor Singles Championships. Tweed Heads member, Di Cunnington, won the inaugural singles event.
Level One Major Renovations included: demolition of the Auditorium, Bamboo Coffee Shop and facelift and modification The Bamboo Bistro.
The Bamboo Bistro was renamed The Brasserie, The Bamboo Coffee Shop was renamed The Café and The Auditorium was replaced with a better and modern casino.
The Stage was left with added dancefloor to provide free live entertainment. The Winners Circle was created to welcome functions and bingo sessions.
A historical moment, the Prime Minister of Australia, Mr John Howard MP, paid a visit Tweed Heads Bowls Club.
The 1st Junior Golden Nugget was played. This is now one of the most prestigious junior events in the world.
Saw the launch of a new logo, the newly renovated Level One areas and new uniforms were provided
The Blue Room stopped functioning as a restaurant and became a function room
Sails on Tweed was renovated and renamed nineteen21 restaurant and bar
Fortune Fair received a makeover and was renamed The Pantry
The Café was renovated and rebranded
The Brasserie was renovated and rebranded Bistro 16
The Tweed Heads Ospreys made their debut in the Bowls Premier League (BPL) and won the event in 2019. In 2020, the Ospreys finished last but bounced back in 2021 to win the title again.
The Tweed Heads Ospreys won the Division 1 State pennant title. First time since 1995.
The Blue Room received a makeover and renamed The Glass.
The Club opened on Christmas day for the first time, now the club is fully operational 365 days a year.
Introduction of Barefoot Bowls. This saw an increase in corporate and private functions.
The Front reception is renovated and given a fresh look
Solar Panels put on the roof
The Mens and Ladies bowls committees joined together and became one committee. Before this, there was a Mens and Ladies Club that played at Tweed Heads Bowls Club.
From 23rd March to 2nd June, the Club closed for 3 months due to the world wide pandemic, COVID-19.